Fortunately ours......

Fortunately ours......

Friday, January 15, 2010

More of Mary in Mexico...


Hi All -

Happy New Year!!!! I know 2010 is a fantastic year and a time for joy, love and happiness, health and many, many good times with lots of laughter!!!

I'm sharing my recent Power Journey and Women's retreat experience to San Miguel de Allende and the great pyramids at Teotihuacan in Mexico. I left at midnight two days after Christmas - flying Mexicana Airways on a red eye to Leon. I thought it was a direct flight arriving the same day at 7am but they shuffled us off the plane at 3am in a little town just north of Mexico City for Immigration. It was an experience to say the least - I am sooooo greatfull that I speak enough Spanish to get around. We finally landed in Leon and I took a taxi to San Miguel de Allende. Of course I argued about the price for awhile but gave in - it was the most expensive taxi ride I've ever taken ($90 American dollars which is stronger than Mexican pesos).

I safely arrived in San Miguel de Allende, which is a cross between Carmel, San Francisco with Tijuana and Mazatlan thrown together (see attached) The streets are cobblestone and you have to pay super close attention when walking or you'll stumble or twist an ankle. It is a bit magical and spiritual with churches on almost ever corner - much like Starbucks. Oh by the way, there was a Starbucks kitty-corner to the main Basilica/Center Square. Go figure. Of course I enjoyed my favorite drink of soy Chai tea (ask for the bags - cheaper) and conversation with my classmates. Our hotel was also right across the street from the main church/square so every morning I woke to the bells tolling at 6:30am.

We began classes right away with a break Tuesday afternoon - I dashed off to the "mall" to buy clothes - I miss calculated and mostly brought resort-wear (Rhea, it was FREEZING, much like New York). I took this wild cab-ride alone up the hill, did some shopping, ate frozen yogurt (which is AWESOME) and walked back to town. Again, thank goodness I speak a little Spanish.

Wednesday we took a three hour drive to Teotihuacan - we walked over 8.5 miles that day and amazingly, I climbed ALL of the pyramids - Sun, Moon, etc. They were amazing and the day turned out to be a very moving and uplifting experience!!! Also, I later found out that my parents were there in 1968 - see attached photos. btw. My mom did it in heels and pantyhose - what a trooper!!!! The circle of life 41 years apart!

New Years day we had classes and then went to El Jardin for a Moon Ceremony, very cool. Afterwards, we had this amazing rooftop dinner with all the New Year's festivities - it was one of the best ever! I dashed off to the main church just before midnight and ran out when the fireworks were exploding - incredible. The center square was packed with all kinds of people from ALL around the world. I am telling you this town partied outside till 5am in the morning!

Friday we had a free day so I walked down to the marketplace and did some shopping - later I had a great massage and ate dinner at my favorite restaurante (two tostadas sin queso y creme y agua con gas).

On Saturday, we wrapped up our classes and had more free time since everyone was leaving Sunday - except those of us who stayed for the ladies retreat. That evening we all went to "Tacos de Felix" which was this upscale restaurant on the outskirts of this town. Felix took his house and turned it into a restaurant - it was really cool and clever. It was also interesting since the entire restaurant was filled with Americans/ex-Patriots....hmmmm. Again, I felt like I was in Carmel.

The ladies intensive Retreat began Sunday and we met in Starbucks two mornings in a row - yeah. This was one of my more favorite activities - it was cool to talk about feminine power, spirit, flow, Self....all those things that we forget or fail to recognize, honor and just allow - particularly our bodies and how we feel as women. It definitely gave me another perspective - I really enjoyed myself. We did a walking tour and went down to the marketplace and ate paletas with la maestra Kalyn. The following day we went to the El Jardin for some more workshops and of course had a fabulous dinner afterwards. Unfortunately on the final day I missed the afternoon sessions because I needed to return to school - which worked out OK. This time I flew back on American with a three hour layover in Dallas. I was soooo excited to return to see Q-tip....my favorite little furry friend. Smiling.

I was truly blessed with a wonderful experience and strongly encourage you to consider doing something/going somewhere on your own - take an adventure, try something new, relax and change your mind. Work out, love, eat great food and celebrate.
When was the last time you had a really good belly-laugh? When was the last time you truly did something for you...just for you. Reconnect with family, friends, heal old wounds. I think the time is NOW. Do it because that's all there is.

Much love and light,

Mary

ps. I attached a photo that I took of an old woman begging in the main square - she was singing and playing the guitar, badly, but bless her heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment