Fortunately ours......

Fortunately ours......

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

the real Mc Coy...

Because of Mary vacationing in Mexico, today I am remembering our 12 day trip there in November of 1968. We had a great time visiting Acapulco, Taxco, Cuernavaca and Mexico City doing all the touristy things, like those pyramids and Our Lady of Guadalupe Church. We actually never went inside the church because we "ran out of time"....arrghh....but I won't explain that here...better in my "memoirs" !!!!!

In Mexico city and other towns Dad and I actually "dressed up"... me wearing a skirt and blouse or dress and a girdle and long stockings, and Dad a suit or sweater and tie. One day when I was wearing casual clothes, the women who cleaned our room stole my girdle and a lovely star burst pin which I dearly loved. It was my favorite piece of jewelry......and it looked like "the real McCoy"..... So today as I was thinking about that pin and that expression and I thought I'd look up the origin of "the real McCoy"....so here it is

"The real McCoy" is an idiom used throughout much of the English-speaking world to mean "the real thing" or "the genuine article" e.g., "he's the real McCoy". It is a corruption of the Scots "The real MacKay", first recorded in 1856 as: "A drappie o’ the real MacKay," (A drop of the real MacKay), and this is widely accepted as the origin. How it came to be "McCoy" is unclear – it is first recorded in this form in the US in 1908 and the phrase is the subject of numerous fanciful folk etymologies Rum-runner William S. McCoy Captain William S. McCoy was a boat builder and excursion boat captain in the Daytona Beach, Florida, area from 1900 to 1920. He was also a non-drinker. With the start of Prohibition Captain McCoy began to bring rum from Bimini and the Bahamas into south Florida through Government Cut. McCoy became famous for never watering his booze, and selling only top brands."

No we did not think we were the "bees knees" or the "cats pajamas" as Grandma Orr would say but rather we "dressed to a tea"...We were not too "long in the tooth" to "cut the mustard" but never got "three sheets to the wind". However I was "under the weather" one day because of turistas and never did get to the Ballet Folkorico!!!

We've never lived "high on the hog" but have been Blessed all our lives!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment