Fortunately ours......

Fortunately ours......

Thursday, April 23, 2009

a great teacher...

My teacher at the Metropolitan Adult Education for many years was Judy Howland. I started on September 17, 1975 and must have gone on until January 12 of the next year, for that particular class. She taught us all techniques: beginning portrait painting; sketching; axis; perspective; clouds; balance and space; line & rhythm; basic drawing; 3 dimension; elipses; peaks and spires; light and dark contrast and later oil painting. She made her manual herself, written by hand and with her own drawings. These are a few of her drawings in the handbook we used.


She made the class fun and kept us interested.
After a while she started us on oils....
she had us make this chart for mixing oils...


She gave us homework and graded us.
She says about the suitcase below:
"This is lovely. Beautiful technique. Proportions excellent.
Thank you Dell. JH"
She always said thank you on every drawing .

That was actually my white suitcase that got hauled every place I trained....San Francisco county hospital and Comptom, southern California.
On the lesson below she says:
"You do great work Dell. You have a very keen mind. Thank you Dell. JH"

Drawing has always lurked in the background of my mind. Even in those nursing school days...in 1947 when I worked in Surgery .....a friend who worked there in surgery knew I could draw. She told me one of the eye doctors wanted a large board to hang on the wall of the surgical room, of the layout of his scrub table....all those delicate instruments.

I did it and they loved it. My friend was so enthused she wrote to a friend of hers who was the President of an Medical Art College for her opinion about whether I should go into medical art. The woman advised me against it because it would take me another 4 years of art school plus already having spent 3 years learning to be a nurse. I needed to get out and earn money!!!!
This is what I would be doing...
and click on animation

Good choice I made, I think....look at all the fun I've had with genealogy and my computer and photographer and making movies!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment